Saturday, November 8, 2014

Breastfeeding is the Best for Baby

When I was pregnant with my first child, I at first thought I would bottle feed him.  But, during my pregnancy I read a lot about the benefits of breastfeeding and decided that I would definitely give it a try.  Since Thomas was taken to the children's hospital when he was born, I had to bring my milk in using a breast pump and allow the nursing staff to bottle feed him my breast milk during non-visiting hours (when rounds were done).  Once we brought him home he refused to take a bottle and breastfed exclusively.  He was weaned at 24 months.  Breastfeeding my second child, Theresse, was quite different.  She brought my milk in and it hurt!  I had the same lactation consultant as I had with Thomas and she strongly encouraged me to keep going.  I did!  Theresse never took a bottle and was weaned by 30 months.

Breastfeeding is so convenient.  It's always sterile, just the right temperature, and ready when the baby is hungry.  Breast milk is nutritious and easily digested.  Breastfed babies are rarely sick, they have less risk of developing allergies, and are less likely to be overweight.  When Thomas was just three months old, he and I broke out in chicken pox.  But, otherwise both of my children never had even so much as a cold in their first three years.

According to the World Health Organization:

                     "Breastfeeding is the normal way of providing young infants with the nutrients they need for healthy growth and development. Virtually all mothers can breastfeed, provided they have accurate information, and the support of their family, the health care system and society at large.  Colostrum, the yellowish, sticky breast milk produced at the end of pregnancy, is recommended by WHO as the perfect food for the newborn, and feeding should be initiated within the first hour after birth.  Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended up to 6 months of age, with continued breastfeeding along with appropriate complementary foods up to two years of age or beyond (http://www.who.int/topics/breastfeeding/en/)."

Even though the World Health Organization promotes the importance of breastfeeding, around the world less than 40% of infants under six months of age are exclusively breastfed (http://www.incultureparent.com/2012/03/breastfeeding-around-the-world/#slide1).  The Philippines have been working hard to promote the benefits of breastfeeding.  And, yet, only 27% of Filipino infants are exclusively breastfed.  However, this year over one thousand Filipino women joined together during World Breastfeeding Week to participate in a simultaneous breastfeeding event to promote awareness (http://www.rappler.com/move-ph/issues/hunger/65183-iloilo-breastfeeding-awareness-month-2014).

Breastfeeding is the best for baby!

3 comments:

  1. Jenifer,
    I agree that breastfeeding is best for the babies. Unfortunatly I was unable to breastfeed my youngest son due to health issues I had and he paid for it. He had terrible allergies and seemed to always have a cold. Recently I have discussed breastfeeding with some new moms and they say the reason they choose bottles is that breastfeeding is such a hassle. I do not understand this at all. I wish these women could really understand the importance of this. It is natural and beneficial to the baby. I guess these women find it easier to scoop some powder in a bottle, add water and shake, it is so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,
    Unlike Arlene I was only able to breastfeed my youngest son I know breastfeeding is the best for babies but my experience would make one wonder. I had my eldest son in 1973 and during that time I smoked and drank like 2 pots of coffee every day, this didn't seem to bother my Dr. who said, "my wife smoked through all of her pregnancies and everything was fine". I had my next son in 1986 and smoked through that pregnancy also, but quit when he was born. My youngest son I did everything by the book, I did not smoke, did not drink caffeine, ate right, exercised and breastfed him until he was 7 months old. He is the only one of my children that has ADHD and anxiety disorder. It probably is just a coincidence, but it really surprised me! I would not do anything different but it is kind of odd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer,
    I love your post about breastfeeding! I also breastfeed my baby and will do so for my next child. I personally do not have any negative remakes about breastfeeding, very pain or difficult I experienced was worth it. I think it is really sad that less then 40 percent of infants are receiving only breast milk. There has to be a solution to this issue!

    ReplyDelete