Saturday, September 19, 2015

Communication Within Different Groups

Do you communicate the same no matter who you are with?

I certainly don't!

I am most comfortable and most myself with my family and my close friends.  I can share my thoughts on any topic without fear, even if we disagree.  For instance, I have friends and family that have completely opposite political views, yet we can express are opposing views freely because we still love and respect one another.  When I am with my family and friends, I tend to use a lot of sarcasm.  I know that not every body understands sarcasm so I am careful not to use it outside of my family and friends.

At work, I spend most of my time consciously thinking about my communication.  I am most comfortable when communicating with children at work.  That's when I can relax the most because it's as if my brain automatically turns off my sarcasm.  Some of my best conversations at work are with children.  When communicating with families, co-workers, and supervisors, I am constantly thinking before I speak and I am constantly aware of my facial expressions and my body language.  And, honestly, I am so exhausted by the end of the day just from how much conscious effort I put into my communication with others while at work.

Another group that I communicate differently with are those that I know are very religious.  I was raised in the Roman Catholic faith and I am a Christian.  However, I also have the mouth of a sailor at times!  So, I make sure to reign in those words and off-color humor when I'm around friends or acquaintances that I know would be uncomfortable.

Some strategies I use for communicating are presented in 50 strategies for communicating and working with diverse families:


  • Become consciously aware of nonverbal behaviors and recognize your own patterns of nonverbal behavior.'
  • When another person's values or beliefs are different, try looking at things from their perspective.
  • When discussing differences, be sensitive in order to reduce or eliminate defensiveness.

Reference
Gonzalez-Mena, J. (2010). 50 strategies for communicating and working with diverse families. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc.

4 comments:

  1. Nonverbal communication and behaviors say so much, without saying a word. Being considerate of others' beliefs and values will more than likely cause open-mindedness and allow the persons involved to obtain effective communication. I feel that no matter who you are speaking with, you should always be a respectful, competent communicator, as this is a reflection of who you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. when I began this assignment I was convinced that I did in fact communicate in the same manner regardless. However I not realize that I am not comfortable with my family and friends than I am with my co worker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer,
    You and I are so much alike, I also have that relationship with my family, when we all get together we can talk about all everything and anything and we may get rowdy but at the end we all love and respect each other. The same thing with the co-workers and parents, but the only difference is that I have been working with the same staff and parents for the last 16 years that I feel them like family too; therefore I tend to feel comfortable enough to speak my mind. I do not like to sugar coat anything and will say it like it is, but always in a respectful manner. I agree that we have to be aware of our non-verbal gestures and body language when we speak, especially at work because as a supervisor you always want to be respectful towards the children, families, and staff that I work with. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer,
    I have found that trying to gain a different perspective often gives me more insight and information I didn't have before. Considering another persons angle has never put me at a disadvantage or taken away from whats important to me. Even if I find I don't agree or still dont see their point, I'm always left strong in the end.

    Nicole Zarilla

    ReplyDelete