Saturday, March 12, 2016

Future Career Possibilities

As I am nearing the end of my graduate studies, I have been thinking about ways in which I will put my education to work.  I am currently an education manager for an early childhood education program.  I love the work I do, but I have been exploring other options that may be available to me once I have my Master of Science in Early Childhood Studies.

One position that recently presented itself to me is actually within the agency I currently work for.  The position is the Assistant Director for the early care and education program.  After reading through the job description, I would need to have or quickly develop grant writing capabilities.  In addition, I would need to be knowledgeable in financial issues such as our state budget.  While I am a quick learner, I do not currently possess these skills.

Another position I looked into this week was teaching early childhood courses at our local community college.  The director of the program invited me to come and speak to one of her classes.  I took the opportunity and spoke to them in-depth about learning experience plans and intentional teaching.  It was very exciting!  At the end  of the class, the director talked with me about the qualifications I need.  As it turns out, once I have my MS in ECS I meet the qualifications.  Unfortunately, they currently have a hiring freeze in place, but she added my name to her list.  Yeah!

Finally, since beginning my graduate studies, I have seriously considered an online college teaching position.  I believe I could maintain my current position and obtain a part-time online teaching position.  I believe it would work out as I have been working full-time as I have completed both my BS in ECS and now my MS in ECS in accelerated online programs.  I am used to the time schedule and planning that goes into balancing both.  So, I looked into positions that may be available.  I found a few at colleges that are in my state or in the New England area.  Once I have my MS in ECS, I meet the qualifications and can apply.

I have been so focused on completing my degree that I hadn't really thought about how I would apply it to my career.  It has been great fun exploring options and discovering what career options are available.  I am looking forward to the next chapter!


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your experiences and your thoughts about teaching at the college level. I commend you for undertaking and completing both your BS and your MS online while working full time as education manager at an ECE program. I have found it very difficult to keep up with the coursework while meeting the responsibilities of my position in PA's quality rating and improvement system. I have no plans to change positions but I have also considered adding a part time teaching position at the community college level. However I plan to take a break when our program is finished to assess my options and determine my next steps. The knowledge and skills I have gained and developed in this program have helped and will continue to help me in my current work, so even if I decide not to pursue any additional or new positions, my current work has benefited from participation in this program and will continue to benefit going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,

    That is great that you would be able to hold a second job as an instructor for an online college, once you complete your degree. Its also amazing that once this course is completed that another chapter not only starts, but opportunities become more available. It sounds as though the possibilities or new beginnings are on the rise. Good luck.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer,
    It was so funny to read that you have been so focused on your education that you have not thought much about what your education can do for you. I am in the same situation. But, I too have looked into future employment and am happy about some of the prospective positions in my local area.
    If you can believe it, I once asked out loud in the office of the school at which I was teaching - "What is that in my mailbox?" And when someone responded it was my paycheck, I replied - "Oh, I almost forgot about that."
    Okay - yes you can take that two ways - of course our pay is always less than extraordinary, but quite honestly for the most part I rarely think about my pay checks. Being a teacher has always been so much more about what I could do for others that I have a tendency to forget that it is a job for which I get paid. Thank goodness for these checks though as they do help me pay at least some of the bills!

    ReplyDelete