Saturday, February 14, 2015

My Supports

        I have always been very independent and I usually prefer to do things myself.  However, I certainly could not run a preschool classroom from 7:00am to 5:00pm five days per week all on my own.  Thankfully, I have a wonderful teaching team and a great support system.
        Within the program I work for, I have a lot of support.  My teaching team is my first line of support.  Together the four of us are the heart of our preschool classroom.  As the Head Teacher, I have many responsibilities.  My teaching team supports me in making sure I can complete those responsibilities.  I think the moments when our support for each other is demonstrated the most is when we are handling challenging behaviors in our classroom.  We communicate with each other and make sure that which ever one of us is working directly with the child that is exhibiting challenging behaviors feels supported and knows that any one of us will step in if needed.  the rest of the team keeps our day on schedule working with the other children, but remaining in contact with each other.
        My co-workers in other classrooms are also a great support.  We work together as a unit and help cover in each other's classrooms.  We share ideas and materials between our classrooms to enhance our developmentally appropriate curriculum.
        My site supervisor and my education manager are both a huge part of my support team.  They both help me with questions or concerns I may have regarding my classroom.  They are a great resource of information and contacts.  One thing they both do that is so important to me is that they allow me to vent to them or use them like a sounding board to talk things out.
        I have a family liaison and a Head Start collaborative family liaison who are a source of support especially in working with families.  Both liaisons help with providing resources and community events for me to share with my families.  They also work with me in making sure the families and children are getting nutritional services, dental and vision screenings, and any supports they may need such as housing and energy assistance.
        On the outer edge of my support system I include the other head teachers in the program, the disabilities manager, the assistant director, and the director.  Once a month, all of the head teachers in the program meet and we are a source of support for each other.  The disabilities manager is a source of support when we have a child in need of extra services.  And, our assistant director and director always have an open door if we feel we need additional support.
        I am very lucky to have such a strong support system just within the program that I work for.  However, I also feel my support system extends beyond just our program.  I consider my professors and classmates a part of my support system.  Especially through the discussion boards!  And, finally, my family and friends are a huge part of my personal support system.  I rely on their love and support to keep me focused and grounded.  I am still very independent and there are some things I prefer to do on my own, but I have learned over the years that having a good support system is so important.

2 comments:

  1. I am the same way! I am very much a do it myself person and I do not like to ask people for help. I have always viewed having to ask people for help as a weakness. It as not until I began this grad program and became a full time preschool teacher that I realized I NEEDED to rely on others sometimes. I could not do it all on my own. It took me 6 years to begin to ask my husband for help in certain areas.. and it took me quite a while to utilize my assistant teacher to his full potential too. Now that I am more comfortable with it I am a much less stressed person!
    I enjoyed reading about your supports. Some of which I share but had never thought about them that way.
    Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer,

    7am-5pm...WOW! I definitely do not see how you do it! I struggle each day with 7:15-3:15. Anywho, I know what you mean about not being able to run an early childhood classroom by yourself. I remember one time my lead teacher was out and they could not find a sub. I was alone all day with 22 students. My mind was blown by the end of the day. I never noticed how tough it was and how great of a team we were until she was out. It was definitely an eye opener! Great post!

    ReplyDelete