Thursday, April 16, 2015

Conversations with International Early Childhood Professionals

It has been wonderful to learn more about early childhood education in Ghana:

What issues regarding quality and early childhood professionals in Ghana are being discussed in the area where you work?

This is kind of a hard question. To be a teacher in Ghana is actually a government job, you go to teacher training and then the government sends you anywhere in the country that they need teachers. All of the teachers I work with are not from the village we are in, most of them are actually from far away and travel on the weekends to see family and loved ones. A lot of them actually hate that they were placed here because it is so rural. Once you became a teacher it is a commitment for a certain amount of years, so you are essentially locked in to the position until your years are up, I don’t know exactly how long it is. So in my opinion, quality isn’t really discussed. I think the government thinks what they are doing is working but in reality it isn’t at all.

What opportunities and/or requirements for professional development  exist in Ghana?

As for requirements, there are none. I think me being here and working with them is professional development for them but it was also professional development for me and it isn’t seen that way for them. Some teachers are really open to us being here and helping and others are not. The female teachers tend to be the ones who are okay with it. The male teachers seem like they are trying to teach us because they see themselves as great teachers, not that they aren’t but there seem to be a difference in gender.

What are some of your professional goals?

Some of mine include continuing to grow as a leader in my field. My graduate career has prepared me to be a Master Teacher as well as a Parent Educator. I believe that by supporting the whole family, the children receive ample amounts of support and from that grow and develop in a really healthy, positive environment. I also want to continue working on my parenting education skills and working with adults, which is something up until now, I didn’t do much of. I enjoy it a lot, its a lot different then being with toddlers all day and I enjoy the switch.

What are some of your professional hopes, dreams, and challenges?

This is a good one. I hope and dream that I will always be as happy in the field as I am now. I love my career and I don’t ever want that to change. Im challenged by moving out of the city. With getting married and wanting to start a family, living in the city is too expensive and finding a balance of being able to stay at my jobs, commute, and find somewhere to live that works for my family seems difficult as of right now. I know that it will work out but it’s definitely a challenge for me.
(Peila, J. Personal Communication, April 16, 2015)

I have also enjoyed learning about early childhood education in Mestre, Italy although language barriers have been difficult to overcome at times.  I was sent a video link discussing the Italian school system, however it was entirely in Italian.  But, I am thankful for the communications we have exchanged.
(Barbara.  Personal Communication, April 15, 2015)

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer,
    You shared some great information about your international contact. And, it is amazing that the teachers do not have to have any requirements to be a teacher. And, once the requirements are meet they can go and teach wherever a teaching job is needed that is great. This gives the children a chance to get a education.
    Kristal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!!! You shared a lot of informative information. It is surprising that there is no professional development involved in teaching in Ghana. It seems as though once the teacher training is complete, the teacher is thrown right into the field. As far as the gender differences im not surprised. Men believe they are superior to the women and think they know everything. It is great that these teachers are helping children further their education and helping them develop skills necessary for them to excel in life. These children deserve every opportunity to grow and learn developmental skill for everyday living.

    ReplyDelete