Saturday, April 11, 2015

Following the Links

For a few weeks now, I have been exploring the National Association of Early Childhood Teacher Educators (NAECTE) web site.  Last time, I shared with you the web site raisingofamerica.org (The Raising of America:  Early Childhood and the Future of Our Nation) which I read about in one of NAECTE's e-letters.  This week, I chose to explore the "Links to Related Organizations" tab on NAECTE's site.

I went to a few organization's sites before I clicked on the link for the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).  I am fairly familiar with NAEYC through my work and school, but I have never really explored their web site (www.naeyc.org) in depth before.  I highly recommend that all early childhood professionals take time to explore the NAEYC site even if they think they know all they need to know about the organization.

I clicked on NAEYC's "Topics" tab and found several topics to choose from including:  


  •  Anti-Bias Education and Holidays 
  •  Learn from Nature
  •  Back to School
  •  Obesity Prevention
  •  Common Core
  •  Play and Learning
  •  Coping with Disasters and Tragedies
  •  Positive Guidance
  •  Developmentally Appropriate Practice
  •  Early Childhood Research
  •  Ethics
  •  Response to Intervention
  •  Family Engagement
  •  Summer Learning
  •  Music
  •  Technology & Young Children
Recently, there has been a lot of discussion on Common Core.  It was interesting to find that NAEYC has several position statements on Common Core and Early Learning Standards.  They also fully discuss developmentally appropriate practice (DAP) including breaking DAP down by age groups.  Under the "Family Engagement" tab, the list the principles realted to family involvement and the include information for engaging diverse familys in early childhood education.

My favorite topic to explore was "Play and Learning."  There I found a plethora of information on the importance of play.  They even include an article for families titled, "10 Things Every Parent Should Know about Play."  There is even a conversation with Dr. Alison Gopnik on evidence that connects play and learning.

I strongly recommend that all early childhood professionals take some time to explore NAEYC's site.  I intend to spend a lot more time doing just that!

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer,
    I have learned so much through NAEYC's website. The teachers at the school have to implement the guidelines in everything they teach the children on a daily basis. I think it is great when the guidelines are used and learned this gives the teachers, parents, and children a chance to learn together.
    Kristal

    ReplyDelete