Saturday, April 25, 2015

International Early Childhood Connections

Reaching out to international early childhood professionals can be very beneficial.  We can learn from each other about global practices in early childhood education.  And, how great is it to be able to share ideas and collaborate with early childhood professionals in other countries?  Here are a few reasons all early childhood professionals should reach out internationally:

  • Many early childhood educators in the United States have children from other countries in their classrooms.  Some are English Language Learners and some are Dual Language Learners.  Families are the best source for understanding a particular child's culture, but connecting with early childhood professionals from the country where the child and family are from can also be beneficial.

  • There are many early childhood programs in the United States that operate on limited resources.  It can be frustrating and stressful to try to provide high quality care when you do not have enough supplies or materials.  Connecting with early childhood educators from other countries and finding out the conditions that many of them have to work in can make one appreciate what they do have to work with.  In addition, it can spark a desire to help by working to raise funds to help our international connections by sending supplies.

  • Perhaps one of the best reasons to connect with international early childhood professionals is the personal and professional growth that comes from the collaboration and communication.  

I have found that it can be difficult at first to make the initial contact with international early childhood professionals.  However, I learned a lot from the connections I made and I look forward to reaching out to further expand my international connections.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Jennifer,

    I tried to use the pod cast to contact but I never received feedback; however, I was happy to read some of my colleague’s blogs that made contact. Thanks to technology, we are able to communicate with our international early education professionals... Excellent Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. also tried to use the pod cast to contact my international organization, but I was not successful. I continue to receive e-newsletters and researching the website for more information about how my international contact communicated with me about early childhood education.
    Kristal

    ReplyDelete