Saturday, October 10, 2015

Adjourning Stage

This week we have been focusing on the five stages of team development: forming, storming, norming, performing, and adjourning.  I have been in many groups and teams throughout my life so far.  For the ones that I was in where we had reached the performing stage...well, I must admit that progressing to the adjourning stage was never easy.  It can be hard to say goodbye, but the closure is necessary in order to keep moving forward.

In thinking back, I believe the hardest group for me to leave was a dance company I had been a part of for several years.  I had danced with the same group of dancers from childhood through my first two years of college.  We had grown up together.  We were an amazing performing company that moved through choreography seemlessly.  It had been my second home.  But, adulthood was calling...finishing college, working full-time, getting engaged...it was time to say goodbye.  In my last summer with the dance company, we traveled to Tennessee for a dance convention and national dance competition.  When we returned home, I said goodbye to everyone as if I would see them all the next day at the studio.  I have such wonderful memories of my years dancing with that company.  They will live in my heart and mind forever.




I have three more graduate courses to complete in order to earn my master's degree.  I love learning and am currently considering whether or not I will continue on to earn my EdS or EdD in early childhood education.  One thing I have really appreciated through my graduate studies is the support from my colleagues as we learn together.  Our adjournment will be our graduation and what a wonderful way to say goodbye!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Jennifer,

    It seems to me that you you had a great bond with your dance company and I can feel the feelings and emotions that you folks express in the pictures that you have posted. I have felt the same feelings and emotions with my high school volleyball team. We practiced at a unit, we shared blood, sweat, and tears through injuries winning games as well as losing some. Knowing that we had pull through adversity only averaging a height of 5'8" and our tallest player at 6'2" we played impressive defense to counter taller, and harder hitting teams. I will never forget my senior year high school volleyball team.
    Currently, I take my role as a leader with my graduate coursework knowing that I need to pull my own weight in assisting with blog assignments, discussion response, and applications for weeks coursework. I want others to be successful and support others as a team member that they can count on to get things done. Adjourning a team will be a difficult task when the time comes however I know I made lasting relationships to call upon in the near future.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete